- This event has passed.
STATE OF CULTURE 2015
November 26, 2015 @ 7:30 pm - 11:30 pm$10
A showcase of artists from across MAV’s 2015 music and spoken word programs
This showcase on Thursday 26 November at John Curtin will launch four new releases from Visible, a music mentoring program giving a kick start to emerging and professional musicians from refugee and asylum seeker communities; ReMastered Myths that brings together artists from diverse musical and cultural backgrounds to collaborate over a series of creative development sessions to devise new material; Producers Lounge for young emerging producers from culturally diverse backgrounds to develop skills in production under the guidance of respected artist and producer Mohamed Komba (a.k.a Momo, Diafrix); and Common Ground, an inter-faith spoken word program exploring the role faith and identity play in our everyday.
The night will feature performances from:
• Persian vocalist Saharnaz Kia
• Hazaragi poetry and soundscapes from Lapkat ft. Farkhonda Akbar
• West Papuan rhythms and harmonies from Black Orchid Stringband
• Trip-hop meets Ethiopian scales with Lem Lem Band
• Hip hop and urban beats from 9 artists from the Producers’ Lounge Project
• 750 years of Kora traditional transported through the Senegambian Jazz Band
• Ethio-jazz, reggae and dancehall power force Nhatty Man & The Lalibelas
• Plus live beats, soundscapes and spoken word from budding producers and poets
To be released on multiculturalartsvic.bandcamp.com.
Tickets: $10 (on the door or presale at johncurtinhotel.com)
State of Culture is supported by Scanlon Foundation, Australia Council for the Arts, Creative Victoria, City of Melbourne, Victorian Multicultural Commission and PBS.